Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Off campus? Want a book? Request it via the catalog!
- Can't find exactly what you want? Try Interlibrary Loan!
Subject Searching Tips
- Use these terms to search both the online catalog and the databases!
- You can also search with composers' names, musical styles, etc.
Subject Terms for Music History
- Use these to search for books in the Online Catalog and in the Databases!
- Music--History and criticism
- Music--History and criticism--Sources
- Music--History and criticism--500-1400
- Music--History and criticism--15th century (16th century, etc.)
- Music--Baroque influences
- Music--15th century (16th century, etc.)
- Musical analysis--Music collections
- Renaissance music
- Music--Europe, Western--15th century--History and criticism (substitute 16th century, etc.)
- Romantic music
- Music--Social aspects
- Music--Philosophy and aesthetics
- Music--History and criticism--18th century--France (example of using a country)
- Music--Theory--18th century (17th century, etc.)
- Motet--15th century (16th century, etc.)
- Polyphonic chansons
- Polyphonic lieder
- Guillaume--de Machaut--ca. 1300-1377
- Guillaume de Machaut
- Guillaume Du Fay
- Josquin des Prez
- Byrd, William, 1542 or 3-1623
- William Byrd
- Thomas Weelkes
- Giovanni Gabrieli
- Monteverdi, Claudio--1567-1643
- Claudio Monteverdi
- Barbara Strozzi